Thursday, August 2, 2012

Support a sequel to Behind the Mask!

I've raved before about one of my favorite horror films Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.  When I discovered it several years ago, it was one of the most original and clever horror films I'd seen since the original Scream. It was self-aware and funny without being annoying in all its nudge-nudge, wink-wink references.

The film is told from the perspective of a documentary crew following a young man determined to build up his own legend as a Michael Myers-type slasher killer.  Basically, think Christopher Guest meets Halloween.  It manages to be both funny and scary, working as both a mockumentary and a straight-up horror film.

My wife hates horror movies - hates them.  I can't even get her to watch Scream because it makes her too uneasy.  This is the one exception, though.  She loves this film almost as much as I do.

So why am I on about this again?  Because the makers of Behind the Mask have set up a Kickstarter campaign for the sequel. It's been hard for them to raise funding any other way because genre hybrids are hard-sells.  As a guy who's written a few genre hybrids AND who wants to support these rising filmmakers, I have already donated to their cause.  A big selling point is that the original creative team is back, including Nathan Baesel and horror legend Robert Englund aka "Freddy Krueger."

As I write this, they have six days left in the campaign.  They need to raise $450,000 and right now they're at about $151,691.  That's a pretty big gap to close, so I want to do my part to spread the word.  Please, if you're a horror fan, I urge you to check out the campaign and give what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment